NW3 & Elite handlers, have the opportunity to explore and experience the pros and cons
to different handling strategies with a nationally sought after Instructor and Coach.
This coaching session will be all about you, the handler, and your effects on your canine partner. We will discuss body language and how to support your dog during a search and ways that you can optimize your training program. Along with taking the information your dog is providing you and strategically make choices on how best to support your team member in a variety of search scenarios. Participating teams will get coaching on strengths as well as help finessing the finer points.
Michele has had the honor of coaching hundreds of teams across the country through weekend seminars and at the National K9 Nose Work Training Camps alongside the three founders of the NACSW. She owns Follow Thy Nose in North Dighton, MA where she teaches on a weekly basis; and she also competes with all four of her own dogs which range from two German Shepherd Dogs to a Poodle mix to a Chihuahua/Terrier mix AND she has competed at TWO Nationals!! (2015 & 2017)
More About Michele Ellertson
MICHELE has been involved in the National Association of Canine Scent Work’s (NACSW) sport of K9 Nose Work since 2009. She currently works with the NACSW as a Certifying Official, Trial Representative, and has hosted numerous trials in the New England area, along with teaching both on a local and national level. She has also had the honor of instructing at Colorado, Oregon, and Pennsylvania K9 Nose Work Camps. In 2018 she will add Georgia K9 Nose Work Camp to that list.
She has over a decade of experience as a Professional Dog Trainer, which began with behavior modification consulting. She maintains her own learning by attending as many workshops as possible as well as K9NW Camp. And she competes with all 4 of her dogs and has competed at both the 2015 and 2017 K9 Nose Work National Invitational with her Chihuahua/Terrier mix, Hemi.
Personally, Michele is owned and loved by four dogs. Three she rescued, a Poodle mix named Harley, a Chihuahua/Terrier mix named Hemi, and one of her two young German Shepherd’s, Hannah. Chaser is the newest member of the family, a 3 year old German Shepherd, who is already a searching fiend. Harley has earned his NW3 Elite title placing in many trials along the way. He and Hannah are recipients of the Harry Award, which is given to the most outstanding rescue dog that demonstrates extraordinary ability and spirit in nose work at the NW1 level. Michele and Hannah are working toward their NW3 Elite title. At all of 14 pounds, Hemi is currently competing in the Elite Trial Division, has earned her ELT1 and ELT2 titles, and competed in both the 2015 and 2017 K9 Nosework National Invitational.
Although her professional and personal interests have led Michele to train in a variety of dog sports, Michele’s primary personal goals are in the sport of Nose Work and showing others how remarkable their dogs are. Her fondness for Nose Work comes from the tremendous benefits it offers to all dogs. From confidence building, bonding, mental stimulation, and pure enjoyment, this sport offers so much to both dog and handler.
Most recently, Michele has begun working with Debbie Kay's program in training Diabetic Alert Dogs for service. This has been very impacting to her to use her skills to train dogs to aid people who really need them.
The working spots for these two sessions will be open to teams competing at NW3 and the Elite level. Enrollment will be limited to a single dog per handler per session to maximize learning. In the event there are working spots remaining, we will open it to NW2 titled dogs who are looking forward to their NW3 titles. Auditors are welcome from any level for one or both sessions.
There will be TWO sessions available: 8:00am-12:00pm OR 1pm-5pm
8 working spots per session; Each dog and handler team will be assigned to a session based on their level of competition and their team's strengths.
There will be TWO OPTIONS for Registration of Working Spots**
- RANDOM DRAW SPOTS | Register for the Wait LIST
- CONFIRMED SPOTS | Confirmed Spots are FULL
**This split registration system provides the opportunity for both participants who want the assurance of a working spot and also for the participants who may not be able to get to register right away when registration opens up.
AUDITORS are welcome to audit one or both sessions | Register to Audit**
**This Seminar has been approved for 3 CNWI CEUs if attending all day, or 1.5 CEUs for half a day. This applies to either a working spot or an auditing spot.
Random Draw Working Spot: $130 per dog and handler team
Confirmed Working Spot: $160 per dog and handler team
Audit Spot (early bird fee): $40 for 1 session ... or ... $65 for both sessions
Audit Spot (after March 25): $75 for 1 session ... or ... $120 for both sessions
Please NOTE: Confirmed Spots & Auditors will be required to pay at the time of registration. If you are awarded a spot from the random draw, payment will be required within 48 hours of receiving an email notification to secure your spot.
Registration Entry and Closing
- Registration will open on Friday, Feb. 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM Central Time (CT) for both the Random Draw AND Confirmed Spots
- The Random Draw Spots will be awarded by random draw of all entries received between 11:00 AM, Feb. 9, 2018 and 11:00 AM, Feb. 19, 2018.
- Confirmed spots will be first received and are limited to 8 spots. An automated confirmation email from The K9 Nose website will be sent confirming your spot and payment.
- Registration will close when all spots are filled after the draw period or 11:00 AM Central Time (CT) on April 8, 2018.
- A wait list will be maintained from all random draw registrations received and any additional registrations after the draw.
- Auditors may not see every team search depending on the size of the room/areas being searched. All day auditors will be on their own for lunch.
- The K9 Nose reserves the right to cancel the seminar if minimum registration numbers are not met
- After all registrations have been received during the draw period, if the coaching day is still not full, registrations will continue to be accepted in the order they are received through the closing date or when all spots are fill.
Cancellation Policy & Refunds
- For cancellation of a working spot on or before 5pm central time March 22, 2018 – Full refund minus $25 processing fee IF your spot can be filled from the wait list.
- For cancellation of a working spot after 5pm March 22, 2018 but before 5pm central time March 29, 2018 – Full refund minus $50 processing fee IF your spot can be filled from the wait list.
- For cancellation of a working spot after 5pm central time March 29, 2018 – no refunds will be issued.
- For cancellation of a audit spot before 5pm central time April 2, 2018 – Full refund minus $20 processing fee.
- For cancellation of a audit spot after 5pm central time April 2, 2018 – no refunds will be issued.
- All cancellations must be emailed to email@example.com
- This cancellation and refund policy applies to any participant that must withdraw for any reason including but not limited to injury, illness, emergency, and personal or work-related reasons.
- No part of the fee will be refunded if the seminar cannot take place or be completed by reason of fire, civil disturbances, an Act of God, public emergency, or any other cause beyond the control of the event organizers.