Elite teams are invited to the North Woods
SNIFF-ATHLON at Camp Warren in Eveleth, MN.
Come test your nose work skills
in the rustic north woods of Minnesota!
The Sniff-athlon is a fun, challenging test of nose work skill, endurance, and spirit for the Elite teams looking to hone their skills and team work. These searches will be designed by Jeff McMahon, one of the original nose work competitors, instructors, certifying officials and judges of the sport. The Sniff-athlon will consist of 8-10 varied and unique search challenges over 2 half days and one full day. Target odors will be birch, anise and clove with any combinations of the three. There will be an end of day walk-through and debrief of the search area to help uncover the mysteries of success and failure in each search.
Word Origin and History for SNIFF-ATHLON
noun. first used in 2018 in Minnesota, from sniff (relating to nose work) + Greek athlon "contest, prize," of uncertain origin. A modern Nose Work event consisting of scent challenges to build endurance and test the nose work skills and spirit of you and your canine partner.
The Sniff-athlon will take place at Camp Warren, which is about a 3 hour drive from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Located on the shores of Half Moon Lake, near Eveleth, Minnesota; it is a YMCA camp that encompasses 480 acres of surrounding pine trees and lake shore. It was founded in 1927. Many of the cabins have been renovated in the past ten years. Click on the word "map" to go to Google Maps and see the precise location and to get directions.
Both on-site and off-site accommodations are available
On-Site accommodations will be available in the various cabins throughout the camp. There will be 2 to 3 people and their dogs in each cabin. The camp style cabins each have 5-9 bunk beds that accommodate 8-18 summer campers, along with a bathroom and shower. Each cabin also has a fireplace, and room enough for dog crates. Some of the cabins are not winterized, but all have electricity so if the fireplace is not sufficient, you can bring an electric heater for supplemental heat. Participants will need to provide their own bedding, sleeping bags, towels and linens. Dogs are to be crated in the cabins when unsupervised, or they can hang out in your car. (if you are ride sharing up to the camp, please indicate this on the registration form under comments) Meals are served family style at the Cub Lodge.
(may be adjusted as needed)
11:30am - - Check IN
12:30-1pm - - LUNCH
1:30-4:30pm - - Sniff-athlon Search 1 & 2
4:30-5:30 - - Debrief
5:30-6:30pm - - dinner
7pm - - Settle into cabins and hang out at Silha Lodge
8am - - breakfast
9:30-12pm - - Sniff-athlon Search 3 & 4
12:30-1:30pm - - lunch break
2-5:00pm - - Sniff-athlon Search 5 & 6
5:30-6:30pm - - dinner break
7-8pm - - Debrief
8pm - - group conversations, discussion
7:30am - - breakfast
8:30-11:00am - - Sniff-athlon Search 7 & 8
11:00-12-30 - - Debrief & Awards
12:30-1pm - - LUNCH
1:30pm - - Sniff-athlon Teams check OUT
- This event is open to dog & handler teams who have earned the NACSW Elite title or equivalent in another scent detection organization by August 31, 2018.
- One dog per handler. If handler has two equally titled/qualified dogs, handler may choose to run both dogs split between the three days, and scores will be kept separate from all other team's scores. Two dogs per handler will only be allowed if the event does not fill with single dog/handler teams.
- In the event there are remaining spots, this event will be opened up to additional qualified teams who may be close but have not yet earned their Elite title.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES: 15-20 teams
ENTRY FEES for each handler & dog team: $175.00**
ON-SITE LODGING & MEALS: $250/person
LODGING for 2 nights and 3 days includes taxes, insurance and service fees. Two to three people and their dogs will be assigned to each cabin.
MEALS will be served family style in the main lodge. Menu modifications can be made for lactose intolerance, gluten free, vegan and vegetarian diets. Seven meals are included in the meal packet price.
OFF-SITE LODGING & MEALS: $375 (approx.)**
Off-site lodging is also available at Super 8 Motel - ask for Camp Warren/The K9 Nose rate (approx. $98.89/night + tax, and no dog fee! Payable to Super 8 Motel) The motel is 4.5 miles away from the camp, and we have a reserved block of rooms available through August 19, 2018. **An On-site Meal and Day-Use Plan of $150.00/person will be added to the Entry Fee for competitors who are staying off-site.
Entry Fee, with on site meals & day-use plan (no lodging): $325.00/handler & dog team
Entry Fee, On site lodging & meals: $425.00/handler & dog team
Entry Fee, Off site lodging with on site meals (approx.): $550/handler & dog team** (approx. $225.00 of this total will be payable to Super 8 Motel)
**If you are planning on Lodging off-site, please coordinate your lodging reservations directly with the Super 8 Motel or a hotel of your choice (the Motel 8 price is approximate and does not include tax and they are waiving the dog fee).
Registration is now open. Entries will be accepted on a first come, first served basis with a maximum of 20 teams accepted. A wait list will be maintained once all spots are filled.
- The Sniff-athlon Entry button will register you for the event. After clicking on the Registration Entry button, a form will need to be filled out and once completed, your entry fee will be added to your cart. Click on the orange box with the word "cart" in the upper right corner of your browser to go to your cart & complete your check out process. You will receive an email shortly after completing your check out process - this is your entry confirmation.
- The Lodging & Meals button provides you with two options: one is the onsite option that includes both meals and lodging and the second option is for offsite competitors who will be paying for the camp fee and meal package. The Lodging & Meals payment deadline is August 15, 2018.
- You can pay for both your entry and Lodging & Meals all in one transaction OR you can pay for your entry fee first, then pay for your lodging & meal choice by the deadline of August 15, 2018.
- IF the Sniff-athlon Entry option is unavailable and says "sold out", this means all spots have been filled, so please fill out the wait list, so that you may be contacted if a spot opens up.
Entry payment will hold your spot for the North Woods Sniff-athlon. The automated email from The K9 Nose website is your confirmation for your entry. Maximum number of entries for this event is 20 teams. Once you have filled out the form, click on the orange cart button to complete your registration. You may pay for both your entry and Lodging & Meals all in one transaction,
Please choose the on-site OR off-site option to be added to your cart. Deadline for payment of lodging & meals is August 15, 2018. BOTH the Entry Fee and Camp Fee will need to be paid in full for final confirmation of your spot in the North Woods Sniff-athlon.
Cancellations: Any cancellations made before August 1, 2018 will receive a full refund minus a $35 cancellation fee as long as your spot can be filled from the wait list. There is no refund, if your spot cannot be filled. Cancellations made after August 1, 2018 and before August 22, 2018, will receive a full refund minus $100.00 cancellation fee as long as your spot can be filled from the wait list. If your spot cannot be filled, then you will not receive your money back. Cancellations made after August 22, 2018 and before September 1, 2018, will receive a full refund minus a $150.00 cancellation fee as long as your spot can be filled from the wait list. If your spot cannot be filled, then you will not receive your money back. . For cancellations after September 1, 2018 – no refunds will be issued. No part of the fee will be refunded if this event cannot take place or be completed by reason of fire, civil disturbances, an Act of God, public emergency, or any other cause beyond the control of the event organizers.